SOLAS - Amendments to the IMSBC Code (Amendment 06-21)
In April 2022 IMO’s Maritime Safety Committee adopted Resolution MSC.500(105) setting out the latest (06-21) amendments to the International Maritime Solid Bulk Cargoes (IMSBC) Code.
Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, the normal 2-year revision cycle has been interrupted and contracting governments to the SOLAS Convention may apply the latest amendments in whole or in part on a voluntary basis from 1 January 2023. Mandatory compliance with the amended IMSBC Code requirements will begin on 1 December 2023.
A new 2022 edition of the IMSBC Code has now been published by IMO which incorporates the 06-21 amendments. Copies can be obtained via the IMO publications website. The primary changes from the 2020 edition (incorporating amendment 05-19) are as follows:
- Revisions to various existing individual schedules for solid bulk cargoes
- Existing schedules for AMMONIUM NITRATE BASED FERTILIZER (non-hazardous) and SUPERPHOSPHATE (triple, granular) are both deleted in their entirety
- New individual schedules added for
- AMMONIUM NITRATE BASED FERTILIZER
- AMMONIUM NITRATE BASED FERTILIZER MHB
- CLAM SHELL
- LEACH RESIDUE CONTAINING LEAD
- SUPERPHOSPHATE (triple, granular) - this replaces the old schedule
- A revised definition for Group A to include dynamic separation as well as liquefaction.
- Dynamic separation is newly defined
Full details of all amendments can be seen within Resolution MSC.500(105)