No. 26 2012/2013 - Renewals 2013/2014
CLASS 1 (P & I)
We refer to Notice to Members No 19 dated November 2012. This Notice provides an update.
1. INTERNATIONAL GROUP POOLING AND REINSURANCE 2013/2014
For 2013 the individual Club retention is to increase from $8 million to $9 million each vessel each incident. The Pool retention will also increase from $60 million to $70 million. The first layer of the Group’s excess of loss reinsurance programme for $500 million will take effect at this figure, but the Pool will co-insure 30% of risks within the layer. The retained share will again be reinsured by Hydra, the Group’s captive and will be protected by reinsurance if losses within the layer exceed $300 million in aggregate.
2. LIMITS ON CLUB COVER 2013/2014
For oil pollution claims the overall limit of Club cover will continue to be $1 billion (other than for charterer’s risks) as set out in the Rules and the Members’ terms of entry.
As is the case for 2012, a combined limit on Club cover for passenger and seamen’s liabilities of $3 billion each incident for each entered vessel together with a sub-limit of $2 billion for passenger liabilities shall also apply.
The overall limit of Club cover for claims, other than for oil pollution and for claims involving passengers and seamen or otherwise set out in the Rules and Members’ terms of entry, shall remain unchanged at 2.5% of the 1976 Limitation Convention limit for property claims in excess of $2.07 billion, but a Group overspill protection will again be in place for 2013 to protect the Club for its share of any overspill liabilities for claims of up to $1 billion in excess of $2.07 billion.
3. GROUP REINSURANCE RATES 2013/2014
For 2013 Group reinsurance rates per GT, which are to be charged as separate fixed costs together with 2013 advance call rates, will be as follows:
|DIRTY TANKERS||$ 0.7565|
|CLEAN TANKERS||$ 0.3245|
|DRY CARGO VESSELS||$ 0.4942|
|PASSENGER VESSELS||$ 3.1493|
These rates include the premium charged to fund the upper layer of the Pool ($40 million in excess of $30 million) which is paid to Hydra as reinsurer of the Pool’s upper layer liabilities and the cost of the overspill protection referred to earlier.
4. OIL POLLUTION SURCHARGE 2013/2014~
The terms and conditions which are to apply to tankers trading to the United States carrying persistent oil as cargo shall remain unchanged for 2013 except that the rates are reduced by approximately 15% as follows:-
(over 1,000 GT)
|$ 0.0405||$ 0.0337||Per GT per voyage|
|$ 0.0202||$ 0.0169||Per GT per voyage|
(under 1,000 GT)
|$ 41.00||$ 34.00||Per voyage|
|$820.00||$ 680.00||Per annum|
Special provisions shall apply to parcel tankers, details of which are as usual available from the Managers.
5. WAR RISK P&I 2013/2014
The terms and conditions of the excess war risk P&I cover for 2013 have been agreed with the commercial war risk market and will be on the same terms and conditions as for 2012.
The terms, which are set out in full in Rule 14 and Members’ terms of entry, will apply automatically for all Members for the new policy year. The principal features are:-
- The cover is to pay claims only in excess of amounts recoverable under a Members’ underlying war risks P&I policy. The cover is also excess of war risk cover provided to Charterers under Rule 3. It is not intended as a substitute for traditional market war risks cover. Members are therefore expected to maintain their existing war risks cover including cover for P&I risks to the maximum extent available (up to a maximum of $100 million).
- The cover is subject to notice of cancellation and automatic termination provisions and excludes nuclear risks.
- The cover is subject to a Chemical, Biological, Bio-Chemical, Electromagnetic Weapons and Computer Virus exclusion.
- The limit of cover is $500 million each vessel any one accident, but shall not exceed in aggregate $500 million in respect of all Members’ entries whether Owners’ or Charterers’ and irrespective of whether or not such entries are entered with the West of England or any other International Group Club.
- The premium payable for the cover shall be $0.0104 per gross ton entered for Owners’ entries. It will be payable with, and is included in, the rates per gross ton charged for the Group’s excess of loss reinsurance premium as a fixed cost per gross ton as set out in Section 3 of this Notice. The rate for Charterers’ entries is $0.0037 per GT.
The estimated cost within these rates for the provision of cover in accordance with TRIA is $0.0025 per gross ton entered. Members who may qualify for TRIA protection will be advised individually.
6. The cover permits worldwide trading but excludes risks in respect of vessels trading in breach of any Exclusion Notice issued by the Club or reinsuring underwriters.
6. CHARTERERS ENTRIES 2013/2014
For 2013 Charterers will be entered through the Club’s CHARTERERS’ COMPREHENSIVE COVER in accordance with Rule 3(B).
For 2013 the terms, conditions and limits of the Charterers’ Comprehensive cover, which includes damage to Hull, remain unchanged with the aggregate limit of cover remaining at $500 million.
As usual precise terms of entry for all chartered entries shall be subject to agreement with individual Members on a case by case basis.
Should Members have queries about any of the matters raised in this Notice please do not hesitate to contact the Managers in the usual way.
For: West of England Insurance Services (Luxembourg) S.A.
P E Spendlove