A tailored product to meet new patterns of piracy costs to owners, with extended coverage and emergency response expertise.
The West Piracy Protection product is Kidnap and Ransom insurance for shipowners, a tailored solution protecting shipowners and operators and their crew against the outcomes of piracy attacks in high-risk areas such as the Gulf of Guinea and the Gulf of Aden.
This product brings together West P&I and the Hamilton Syndicate at Lloyd’s – with the Hamilton Piracy Protection policy made available through West P&I as a service for Members, non-members and brokers.
- An enhanced Kidnap and Ransom product proposition created between West P&I and Hamilton, with in-built specialist services provided by Crisis24 and HFW
- Includes legal service cover as standard, unlike many other Kidnap and Ransom products
- Cover extends to intent to kidnap. Including response service, additional expenses and personal accident
- Provides indemnity for 14 days after the vessel has been released, under an extension cover available to protect against Loss of Hire
- Includes reputational risk cover
- Cover can be purchased on either a voyage by voyage basis, or as an annual policy
Insured Losses include:
- Payment of ransom
- Loss of ransom in transit
- Response consultant fees
- Additional expenses – including repatriation and rehabilitation of crew and unscheduled port calls
- Legal Liability
- Personal Accident
- Under a separate extension, Loss of Hire arising out of the seizure or an attempted piracy boarding where captives are not taken
Insured Events under the ‘Piracy
Protection’ policy wording:
- Piracy – captives taken or allegedly taken
- Seizure – of the vessel, illegally followed by a ransom demand in each scenario
- And Piracy attempts – where no captives are taken
Why buy it?
- Legal Services –Piracy Protection offers legal services. Many other competitor products do not: even where legal advice is covered, it is not always clear whether the advice extends to legal services. In this proposition, legal expenses are covered within Additional Expenses.
- Reputational Risk – This product covers Additional Expenses and provides the services of HFW to assist in managing threats to a company’s reputation.
- Piracy Boarding – Traditional piracy policies do not cover events where no hostages are actually taken. This product includes cover for the intent to kidnap. The extension covers Response services, Legal Services, Additional Expenses (bunkers, port fees, medical and psychiatric services), Legal liabilities and Personal Accident.
- HFW Legal Services – Clients have access to HFW Legal Services, experts in piracy situations and the market leader in this field.
Loss of Hire:
- board a vessel and take hostages away, or
- board a vessel and fail to capture hostages; the crew might manage to take shelter in a citadel and the pirates might react by damaging the vessel before leaving without hostages.
Piracy Protection FAQ's
West Piracy Protection is provided directly by the West’s underwriting team and is fully supported by our reinsurance partner, Hamilton. Claims response will be provided by key business partners: Crisis24 and HFW
All lines will be written 100% by West P&I.
Our Piracy Protection Partners
Claims Service Partners
With more than 30 years of experience and infrastructure in 45 countries, Crisis24 has taken risk management by storm, enabling large companies to mitigate threats and confidently conduct their operations at home and abroad.
Your Piracy Protection Specialists
Why West of England?
- An international Club with a global membership
- A worldwide office network providing dedicated underwriting, claims and loss prevention service to our Members
- A Member of the International Group of P&I Clubs