IMO - ECDIS - Guidance for Good Practice
IMO’s Maritime Safety Committee, at its ninety-fifth session in June 2015, approved the publication of a circular addressing the carriage and use of Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS); MSC.1/Circ.1503 ECDIS – Guidance for Good Practice. This new circular draws together and consolidates into one publication the information contained in seven IMO ECDIS circulars.
The new consolidated IMO ECDIS circular contains guidance on the following topics:
- SOLAS chart carriage requirements
- ECDIS software maintenance
- Operating anomalies identified within ECDIS
- The differences between Raster Chart Display System (RCDS) and ECDIS
- ECDIS training
- Transitioning from paper charts to ECDIS
- Guidance on training and assessment in the operational use of ECDIS simulators
- References to IMO ECDIS performance standards, and seven other IMO ECDIS related circulars which remain in force
Members with vessels fitted with ECDIS may wish to forward copies of the new circular to their vessels for the attention and guidance of deck officers. The recommendations may also be taken into account when developing or updating systems and procedures addressing the implementation and use of ECDIS equipment on new and existing vessels.
Members requiring further guidance are advised to contact the Loss Prevention department.