MARPOL - Reduction of the Sulphur Emission Control Area Fuel Oil Sulphur Limit - IMO FAQs
In November 2014 Members were reminded of the reduction of the fuel oil sulphur limit for vessels operating within Sulphur Emission Control Areas (SECAs) from 1 January 2015. The IMO has recently published a set of answers to Frequently Asked Questions in relation to this change to MARPOL.
The questions answered are wide ranging and encompass the following:
- What are the new requirements relating to sulphur emissions?
- What treaty do these new rules come under?
- Where are the emission control areas referred to?
- How can ships meet the new requirements?
- What is the best way to meet the requirements?
- What controls will there be?
- What sanctions will there be for not complying?
- Can switching fuel cause problems?
- How many Parties does MARPOL Annex VI have?
- What about outside these ECAs?
- Where can I find out more?
Members requiring any further guidance are advised to contact the Loss Prevention department.