USA - Ballast Water Discharge Rule - Frequently Asked Questions
In May 2012 Members were advised of the entry into force in the United States of the Ballast Water Discharge Rule on 21 June 2012. The United States Coast Guard (USCG) has since published a set of answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) in relation to the new legislation.
The areas of the Ballast Water Discharge Rule addressed by the USCG FAQs are wide ranging and encompass the following:
- Ballast Water Management Requirements
- Alternate Management Systems (AMS)
- Ballast Water Discharge Standard
- Implementation Schedule
- Additional Requirements – Removal of Fouling Organisms and Ballast Water Management Plan (BWMP)
- Enforcement and Compliance
- Shipboard Technology Evaluation Program (STEP)
- Ballast Water Management System (BWMS) Approval Procedures
- Use and Acceptance of Existing Test Data
- Independent Laboratory (IL) – Requirements and Responsibilities
Members requiring further guidance on the United States Ballast Water Discharge Rule are advised to contact the Loss Prevention department.